Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Just getting by.

My father used to tell this fascinating story about pursuing wealth
to anyone who would listen. It stuck with me, and I found a
well-articulated version on our amazing Internet...

A businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village
when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small
boat were several large tuna. The businessman complimented the
Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to
catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while.

The businessman then asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch
more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's
immediate needs. The businessman then asked, but what do you do
with the rest of your time? The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep
late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my
wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine
and play guitar with my amigos; I have a full and busy life, señor."

The businessman scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and I could help you.
You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a
bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy
several boats; eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.
Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell
directly to the processor and eventually open your own cannery. You
would control the product, processing and distribution. You would
need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico
City, then LA and eventually New York City where you would run your
expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all
take?" To which the businessman replied, "15-20 years." "But what
then, señor?" The businessman laughed and said, "That's the best
part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell
your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would
make millions."

"Millions, señor? Then what?" The businessman said, "Then you would
retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would
sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with
your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could
sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "Isn't that what
I'm doing right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment